- View history
Developer console is a tool available on video games, which is usually accessed by pressing the tilde (~) or grave key (`) key (the key may be different for keyboards with different language set-up; it is usually the key to the left of 1). They may only be accessed on PC and Mac. The console can be used to significantly alter the game, including but not limited to making the player invincible, obtaining a weapon that would normally be impossible to get, free-flying, changing game rules and more. The console can be used for testing and to give information useful to the developers of the game, generally for debugging, hence the term "developer console".
Since Call of Duty uses the same base for most of its game engines , many commands remain the same throughout the series.
Note: While activating the console in games until Call of Duty: World at War is rather simply done completely in-game, starting with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 , the game files have to be altered. Editing the configuration files ("config.cfg" and "config_mp.cfg") in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 , Call of Duty: Black Ops and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 is safe and cannot lead to a VAC ban , although in the later games the corresponding files are encrypted and are not considered safe to edit. Console enabler mods in any games are also very likely to result in a ban. Generally, if the player is not aware of what they are doing, they should not do it.
- 1.1 Call of Duty
- 1.2.1 Singleplayer
- 1.2.2 Multiplayer
- 1.3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops
- 2 Codes and Effects
- 3 Usage in Multiplayer
- 4.1 Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
- 4.2 Call of Duty: World at War
- 4.3 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
- 4.4 Call of Duty: Black Ops
- 4.5 Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
Enabling the console [ ]
Call of duty [ ].
The process for enabling console commands in Call of Duty is different to the others, as it runs on the ID Tech 3 Engine .
- Right click on the Call of Duty Single Player shortcut and select "Properties"
- In the "Target" field enter +set sv_cheats 1 (e.g. "C:\Program Files\Call of Duty\CoDSP.exe +set sv_cheats 1 )
- Start up the game, press the tilde key (~) or grave key (`) to enter console.
- Some computers, like Macintosh using bootcamp does not have this capability.
22 November 2022
12 November 2020
30 October 2019
Call of Duty 2 , Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and Call of Duty: World at War [ ]
Singleplayer [ ].
- From the in-game options, the player should enable the console.
- The player should then press the tilde key (~) or grave key (`) to open the console.
- The player can now type seta thereisacow 1337 and press Enter.
- The player may now type spdevmap [mapname] (or devmap [mapname] in Nazi Zombies ) and press Enter.
- This will start whichever map was typed in with console commands enabled. While playing, the player can press the tilde or grave key to bring up the console and type in commands. The player can press Enter to activate them, type them in again, and press Enter to deactivate them.
Note that the player has to devmap or spdevmap as opposed to selecting a map from the mission select screen in order for the commands to be available. In addition, the mission names are not always their in-game names. For example, Death From Above would start with spdevmap ac130 , and Nacht der Untoten would start with devmap nazi_zombie_prototype . The names can be seen in their individual articles on the wiki or by browsing the game files. To find out the codename of the map you are currently playing on simply type mapname in the console, the first option in the dropdown shows the codename of the current map.
Multiplayer [ ]
- The player should go to multiplayer and open the console
- The player can then enter devmap [mapname] . This will load a new server on with whichever map was entered with commands enabled.
- The player may now enter commands with a / in front of them. Not doing so will merely send what was typed as a message.
Note that not all commands will work.
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty: Black Ops [ ]
To enable console cheats for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 or Call of Duty: Black Ops the player must do the following:
- Open the file location where the game is located (in most cases it is "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\ game title ") and go to "players" folder
- Open "config" (for singleplayer) or "config_mp" (for multiplayer) with a text-editing program such as Notepad
- Locate seta monkeytoy "1" (can be found easily by searching monkey with Ctrl+F) and change it to seta monkeytoy "0"
- Go to the bottom of the text and type in spu
- Press enter twice
- Type bind key "command" (where key is replaced with the desired key used for the command and command is replaced with the desired command)
- Click back to "players" and right click on "config"
- Click "Properties" and turn off "Read Only"
- Save the "config file"
- Right click on "config", click "Properties", and enable "Read Only"
The player should note that the tilde or grave key will not work in singleplayer. The only way to use the command console now is to simply enter bind commands into the config.cfg file.
To use the cheats, the bind command must be used: bind X "Y" - on the place of X the player must put a key, which is not in use (they should check the other "bind" lines, and ensure that the key they want is not already in use). On the place of Y, between the two tildes, the player must put the cheat code. Before someone attempts to enable the cheats bound, they need to bind the seta thereisacow 1337 command and enable it every time they start the game. The bind should look like this: bind X "seta thereisacow 1337" , where X is the bound key.
Examples of bound console commands:
- bind U "god"
- bind V "notarget"
- bind P "give ammo"
- bind J "cg_fov 110"
When ingame, the player simply has to press one of these keys, and the cheat code will be activated.
Codes and Effects [ ]
Commands can be enabled and disabled, depending on how they must be activated. The most basic will require the player to simply enter the command to activate, and enter it again to deactivate (ex. noclip and god ). There are also commands that are activated and deactivated by entering the number 1 after it to activate, and 0 to deactivate (ex. sf_use_ignoreammo 1 ).
There are also commands that alter game elements. These cannot be activated, but changed. When entering in one of these commands, the console will say "Domain is any number between X and Y (X and Y being the minimum and maximum values)." As such, the player can enter any number between X and Y to change the domain, and as a result, the effect. The default is also given, so players can return to the normal value if they wish. An example is "timescale 1", which dictates the game's speed. The default is 1, but players can enter any value between 0.001 (X) and 1000 (Y).
Below is a list of some of the most useful console commands. Note that the underscore ( _ ) cannot be used in place of a space, and vice versa.
Usage in Multiplayer [ ]
Console commands that can potentially give the player an unfair advantage cannot be used in online multiplayer. Certain visual and harmless tweaks can be used, such as those to toggle HUD elements such as crosshair, or edit graphical settings such as removing fog. On LAN servers however, commands can still be used as normal.
Gallery [ ]
Call of duty 4: modern warfare [ ].
Call of Duty: World at War [ ]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [ ]
The following images (save the last two and the pickup icons) use a field of vision of 120.
Call of Duty: Black Ops [ ]
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 [ ]
- In Call of Duty 4 , if the player uses cg_LaserForceOn 1 all of the lasers on the weapons will originate from the barrel. However, if the player has an M4A1 without attachments it will originate from the AN/PEQ-2A and curve towards the barrel.
- Only Call of Duty: World at War can have third person mode activated in the singleplayer campaign, unlike other Call of Duty installments which can only be activated in multiplayer.
- In Treyarch games, the player will be notified in the top left corner if the console command is activated or deactivated.
- A random weapon is given to the player (usually in a specific order), however all other weapons are either removed or swapped, leaving the player with just the random weapon.
- Samantha's laugh (likely from the Mystery Box) can be heard, and the player loses some points.
- Repeat every few seconds until the player loses all points (or after a specific amount of weapon swaps). The player's inventory will then be replaced with four weapons; a normal M1911 ; a glitched Mustang and Sally with less damage and glitched animations; An AK47 with glitched sounds and incredibly low damage; and a Default Weapon .
- 1 Simon "Ghost" Riley
- 3 Call of Duty (series)
Follow Polygon online:
- Follow Polygon on Twitter
- Follow Polygon on Facebook
- Follow Polygon on Youtube
- Follow Polygon on Instagram
- Best weapons
- How to build an outpost
- Mantis puzzle
- Where to buy Ship Parts
- Best armor and spacesuits
- Best planets for outposts
- Best traits
- Where to sell contraband
- All Starfield guides
- What to Watch
- What to Play
- All Entertainment
- Baldur’s Gate 3
- Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
- Pokémon Scarlet / Violet
- All Reviews
- Buyer’s Guides
- Galaxy Brains
- All Podcasts
Call of Duty: Ghosts developer explains the difference between an upgraded engine and an entirely new one
Share this story.
- Share this on Facebook
- Share this on Twitter
- Share All sharing options
Share All sharing options for: Call of Duty: Ghosts developer explains the difference between an upgraded engine and an entirely new one
The engine used to power the upcoming Call of Duty: Ghosts is an evolved version of a last-gen engine and will feature remnants of developer Infinity Ward's last engine, animation lead Zach Volker told Official PlayStation Magazine .
According to Volker, developers cannot create an entirely new engine from the ground up within a two-year cycle. The result is simply a highly upgraded form of an earlier engine; however, with enough major overhauls, this upgraded engine often has little in common with its predecessor.
"When we're talking about a new engine we're talking about upgrading significant systems within in that engine," he explained. "We're not talking about throwing it all away and saying we're starting from the ground up."
Volker went on to describe the difficulty of making distinctions between an updated engine and an entirely new one. New engines are built out of necessity, he explains: "So looking at our current situation, focusing more on the next generation of hardware, we are now going to have the bandwidth to build many more things and our engine just can't handle as much as we'd like to throw at it right now. And that necessitated the need to go onto a new engine."
"What we do is we say ‘okay what are the things that are significant and that we would say that are encompassing of the engine or its visual quality? Are those being upgraded in a significant way? Alright then, I think that warrants that we've got a new engine on our hands."
According to Volker, the original engine years ago was built on Quake engine, however the team has created so many new engines and overhauls to the original tech "that I'm not sure any of it still exists."
Call of Duty: Ghosts , the long-rumored next entry in the Call of Duty franchise, became official earlier in the month. The title, itself a new sub-brand for the franchise, is said to feature a new engine and new ideas.
Sign up for the newsletter Patch Notes
A weekly roundup of the best things from Polygon
Just one more thing!
Please check your email to find a confirmation email, and follow the steps to confirm your humanity.
Oops. Something went wrong. Please enter a valid email and try again.
CD Projekt Red workers form union after layoffs
Where to find all Dervis’ Artifacts locations in Assassin’s Creed Mirage
How to locate the Excavation Site in Assassin’s Creed Mirage’s ‘Find the Missing Brother’ quest
Indigenous TTRPG Coyote & Crow is free for today only
The Exorcist: Believer’s carefully crafted demon was cut to keep the movie grounded
COD Ghosts Singleplayer - Dev Console
- Access to our large gaming community with millions of discussions to participate in.
- Free access to tutorials, resources, information, tools, trainers, cheats and hacks.
- Interact with our great community, and make new friends with our members.
- Active marketplace for gamers and people like you, with thousands of contributors and over half a million posts.
- Let your voice be heard! You can post, reply, and share whatever is on your mind.
- Ads are removed, almost completely ad free browsing.
Thread: COD Ghosts Singleplayer - Dev Console
- Show Printable Version
- Email this Page…
- View Profile
- Private Message
- View Forum Posts
var kmn_tags = window.kmn_tags || ; kmn_tags.push('c580223d5bb41c0c202e7133a715156a'); document.write(" "); Unlock access to developer console. Scans: Virustotal Jotti's
The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to dtx12 For This Useful Post:
13burningbridges (04-04-2016), 66^GIDON^66 (11-06-2013), ActualWait (08-06-2021), Alex Animate (05-19-2019), almoss (05-02-2017), bercl (12-10-2016), blackface007 (12-19-2017), black_iceee (04-28-2017), borabear (11-08-2013), buber777 (04-26-2016), CaptainLuis41 (03-19-2015), catoja1107 (05-26-2014), ch4llanger (02-28-2019), charon999 (11-06-2013), cmc5415 (07-21-2014), CYBER-SNIPA (11-06-2013), Dragonm246 (12-08-2013), Exaercase (06-03-2020), exxr (11-08-2013), Ganthzkillzz (11-12-2015), hansspringfield (06-20-2015), hihihi608 (12-31-2013), holoemitters (01-04-2023), inF|Scorpien (02-24-2019), ISellSteamAccounts (11-07-2013), iwarst (01-31-2016), JEKA_346 (11-06-2013), JQQC (07-29-2022), kackwurst4 (11-06-2013), koponyakukac (12-22-2016), lotusavage (03-15-2016), Lowebros (01-19-2019), lubern (09-06-2019), Marlostos (08-02-2021), Medik776 (11-06-2013), MissTitlyWank (11-24-2013), MostwantedUS (03-31-2016), NuggetsValante (01-22-2021), Pawster (01-10-2014), pelujo (09-07-2017), pinokkio (01-02-2018), Qxzyxx (11-15-2017), Saberteeth (08-23-2022), skdjfcks (06-20-2018), soso187 (11-25-2016), SPi Agent99 (04-26-2020), spuitscheet038 (10-27-2018), trpyhackermans (08-26-2019), wdrock (08-29-2019), Xforcengod (02-09-2023), Xi0N_ (11-27-2017), yaksa (11-23-2013)
Minion+ : February 2014 - January 2015 Counter Strike: Global Offensive Minion : November 2014 - January 2015 Alliance of Valiant Arms Minion : August 2014 - January 2015 Need For Speed World Minion : January 2014 - January 2015 Rust Minion : January 2014 - January 2015 Call of Duty Minion : January 2013 - January 2015 Editor : December 2012 - April 2013 Donator : March 2014 - Current Member : October 2010 - Current Previously known as " Isaakske ".
not working for me
how can I do it? What I have to do? I click on Devconsole.exe file and open the game but nothing happens
Wow That was fast
quick asfk. D:
What do i do when i get the consel? like can i get infinite health and stuff or what? someone explain to me please.
Enable dev. console for singleplayer mw3, [release] lolclient dev console enabled, open dev console, how to open dev. console, what commands must i type in the dev. console.
- MPGH - MultiPlayer Game Hacking & Cheats
RATE OUR SITE
Please rate your satisfaction finding help on our website., thanks for your feedback, please choose one support offering that you think we could improve..
- Online Services
- Submitting a support ticket
- Other (please explain)
Which item does this relate to?
- I couldn’t add a comment or attach a file.
- I couldn't close my case.
- I couldn't find the case I was looking for.
- My Cases is difficult to navigate.
- It was difficult to find how to get help from a support agent.
- It was difficult to find an article related to my issue.
- I didn't get search results I was expecting.
- I couldn't find a solution to my issue.
- The portal didn't have a feature I was looking for.
- The portal didn't display an outage I was experiencing.
- The option to submit a support ticket was hard to find.
- The option to submit a support ticket wasn't available for my issue.
- Submitting a support ticket had too many steps.
- I couldn't submit a ticket due to a technical error.
Which game brought you to our website?
- Call of Duty: Warzone
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II
- Call of Duty: Vanguard
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
- Call of Duty: Mobile
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1 + 2
Awesome! You have priority access
Submit a ticket within support options, and our support experts will prioritize your case., you have an open chat session in the queue.
We’ve detected that you’re currently in a chat session. If you wish to continue, you’ll need to close your chat session before you can open a new case.
You have a chat session in progress
We’ve detected that you’re currently in a chat session. If you wish to continue, you’ll need to close your current chat session and then go to My Cases and close your case before you can start a new chat session.
You have an open case.
You currently have an open case with us, and you may only have one support case open at a time. If you open a new case, your open case will be CLOSED and you will be placed at the end of the queue. We recommend waiting for your current case to be resolved
Are you sure you want to close your case?
Starting a new session will CLOSE your open case and place you in the back of the queue. You can always wait for your current ticket to be resolved.
Your ticket has been closed.
Enter your phone number below and an agent will get back to you via text message shortly.
* Required Field
All texts are automated, subject to Activision’s SMS terms , and consent is optional, not a condition of purchase or use of Activision support or service. Message and Data Rates may apply. By clicking SUBMIT, you agree to the SMS terms and agree that Activision may send you text messages at the above number about your customer service request. By checking the box, you also agree that Activision may send you promotional texts at the above number.
Get promotional texts at the above phone number
You’ll get a text from us shortly outlining next steps.
Our bad. We encountered a problem on our end. Please try again later.
Let us know your issue below and we'll get back to you via email as soon as possible.
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
- Call of Duty: WWII
- Other Products
* All fields are required.
A response will be sent to the email in your account. Change my email address
We got your email!
One of our agents will review your message and get back to you via email.
Your case # is
해당 언어에서 사용할 수 없는 페이지.
이 페이지는 해당 지역에서 제품 또는 서비스를 지원하지 않기 때문에 해당 언어로 사용할 수 없습니다.
페이지를 영어나 다른 언어로 보려면 '영어로 보기'를 선택하십시오. 이전 페이지로 돌아가려면 '취소'를 선택하십시오.
CALL OF DUTY: GHOSTS
What brings you here, call of duty: ghosts minimum system requirements - updated 11/22/2019.
Minimum System Requirements for Call of Duty: Ghosts
Call of Duty: Ghosts Two-Disc Overview - Updated 11/22/2019
Everything you need to know about the Call of Duty: Ghosts two-disc system on Xbox 360
Clan Operation Award Was Not Received - Updated 11/22/2019
Troubleshooting tips to receive a Clan Operation award
My HD Tactical Camera is Damaged - Updated 11/22/2019
Contact information for HD Tactical Camera customer support
Transferring Digital Team Leader Content from Xbox 360 to Xbox One - Updated 11/22/2019
How to transfer your Season Pass entitlements to Xbox One
The Software License and Service Agreement will be updated. Please follow this link [ https://www.activision.com/legal/ap-eula ] in order to see these changes.
Sledgehammer Games Should Develop Call of Duty: Ghosts 2
With Sledgehammer Games struggling to deliver a successful Call of Duty subseries, it should try borrowing Infinity Ward’s Ghosts universe.
Call of Duty fans will often debate their favorite developer, and over the years, the general consensus has constantly shifted. Following Call of Duty 4 and the original Modern Warfare 2 , Infinity Ward was the most popular, though this changed with the growing popularity of Treyarch’s Zombies mode and the Black Ops subseries as a whole. Now, things are shifting once again, as Treyarch has been plagued by rushed developments and Infinity Ward has found great success with its Modern Warfare reboot.
However, the Call of Dut y franchise has three different studios behind its premium games, with another in Raven Software that handles the free-to-play juggernaut that is Call of Duty: Warzone . Sledgehammer Games has not managed to shake its reputation of being the new kid on the block despite releasing its first Call of Duty game all the way back in 2014. From Advanced Warfare to Vanguard , the studio has yet to release a game as beloved as Black Ops or Modern Warfare . Though it could attempt to start up another new universe with its next mainline game, Sledgehammer should instead work with an established brand - bringing back Call of Duty: Ghosts .
RELATED: Rorke Returning in Call of Duty: Warzone is a Harsh Reminder That Ghosts 2 Never Happened
Simultaneous Redemption For Ghosts and Sledgehammer
While Call of Duty: Ghosts is regularly seen as a step-down from Modern Warfare , and the start of a rough era for Infinity Ward, it still has its fans. In particular, gamers have been waiting for answers about Call of Duty: Ghosts ’ cliffhanger for years, as the campaign ends with some obvious setup for a sequel that never came. Beyond that, Extinction has become a cult classic, as the alien-focused co-op mode provided some unique gameplay that differed greatly from the series’ standout Zombies mode.
Admittedly, a Call of Duty: Ghosts sequel would have to solve some significant problems, particularly on the multiplayer front. The concept of Field Orders would need some reworking, SAT COMs would need to be removed for traditional UAVs, and the absurdly large maps featured in the original Ghosts would have to be avoided. A less bland color palette would also be beneficial, as many fans felt that the ugly look of Ghosts damaged its memorability and lasting appeal.
Still, Call of Duty: Ghosts 2 seems like a perfect endeavor for Sledgehammer Games . Redeeming the divisive Ghosts universe could be even more rewarding if Sledgehammer were to take the reigns from Infinity Ward, as the studio is still in need of its first major success with the Call of Duty brand. For fans, having Ghosts ’ lingering cliffhanger answered would be a welcome surprise, and wielding weapons like the Honey Badger again would also be fun.
Infinity Ward’s underrated Extinction Mode could also be a perfect playground for Sledgehammer Games, as the developer’s releases have consistently struggled to find success when it comes to their third game mode. Exo Zombies and WW2 Zombies are widely seen as the worst attempts to replicate Treyarch’s success, and though it was developed by Treyarch, Vanguard Zombies has continued the trend of weak Zombies modes being featured within Sledgehammer’s games. Getting away from Zombies entirely could be the right move for Sledgehammer, and Extinction offers a stellar alternative.
Since Infinity Ward has its hands full with the new Modern Warfare games, it is highly unlikely that it will ever return to the Ghosts universe. However, since Sledgehammer has been struggling to win fans over with its original stories, reviving one of its peer’s could be ideal. From Ghosts -inspired cosmetics in Vanguard to the debut of Rorke as an Operator, the newest Sledgehammer game features a surprising number of references to the 2013 title. In an ideal world, this would be foreshadowing, with Sledgehammer making and releasing Ghosts 2 in the near future. By expanding on the first game’s strengths, building off the original campaign’s ending, and fixing some key flaws, a comeback for Ghosts could result in a strong game for all Call of Duty fans to enjoy.
MORE: Call of Duty Deserves Its Own 'Master Chief Collection'
- International edition
- Australia edition
- Europe edition
Call of Duty Ghosts: hands-on and new details
There's a palpable sense of excitement among the gaming community: we're about to enter a near-unprecedented period in the lead-up to Christmas, in which two new consoles will arrive, backed up by a glittering array of blockbusting games.
Arguably the biggest (at least, now that we've all got our copies of GTA V) is Call of Duty: Ghosts. Appropriately, given its name, but annoyingly for gamers, CoD: Ghosts has remained somewhat elusive and shadowy since it was unveiled at the E3 Show in June ( although a multiplayer event did map out that side of the game on a macro level ). However, publisher Activision and developer Infinity Ward have begun to redress that balance, with an event in the City of London, in which we were treated to a fleshing out of details, as well as hands-on multiplay on the Xbox One. This is what we discovered.
OK, we know that these days CoD games are supposed to be all about the multi-play, but there are still plenty of traditionalists around who like to play it solo, and now that we've seen some of it, we're convinced that, for a CoD game, Ghosts' single-player campaign should be refreshingly original and innovative.
"At E3, we mentioned that in Ghosts, America has been rocked by an attack – because of this mass event, it is no longer a superpower," explains Infinity Ward's community manager, Tina Palacios. "Resources are very scarce, America is in disarray, and even the military is crippled at this point. Our characters are growing up in this world and we fast-forward about 10 years; that's where our story really kicks off.
"You play as Logan, alongside your brother Hesh, throughout the whole campaign. This is a first for us – we've never really given an origin story to our characters before, but we really wanted to go for it. But not only that; we want to focus on a single squad: the Ghosts.
"You and your brother heard about the Ghosts growing up, but you never really got to meet them, because it's very important to them that they hide their identity – that's why you see the masks and the face-paint. The reason for that is that they pose the biggest threat to the Federation, which is our new superpower enemy. They are very small in numbers, so it's crucial for them to fight behind enemy lines without being seen. You eventually come across them and join up."
Alongside you and your brother, you'll also have a dog called Riley who, Palacios asserts, will operate as a proper character in the game. He has the ability to detect enemies, scout with a camera on his back and fight viciously on your behalf. Palacios gives a nice little insight into the development process when she says: "We didn't really know what we would do with Riley until we met Navy SEALs and their dogs. They brought them into the studio, and we saw the gear they wear, and got to see that they are serious members of the squad."
As part of the demonstration, we were shown what may well be the opening mission of the campaign – a scene-setter, it prefaces the entrance of Logan, Hesh and Riley, but explains what happened to America. It takes place on a space station, where the American military is about to test-fire a new weapon it has created called ODIN – the Orbital Defence Initiative – which contains giants rods that can be dropped onto Earth, triggering the same sort of blast as a nuclear device, but without the radiation.
Unfortunately, the space-station is overrun by the Federation, and despite some nifty shooting in zero-gravity conditions, you're unable to prevent them from dropping ODIN's deadly payload on every major American city – all of which are reduced to rubble. Thisnicely sets up the game's premise in which you're cast as a kind of American guerrilla. CoD: Ghosts certainly won't have to fight any allegations of glorifying the Stars and Stripes, and its storyline should be much more interesting as a result. Although we can't say how substantial it will be – Palacios steadfastly refused to provide even a ballpark play-through time.
Squads – somewhere between solo and multiplay
Another aspect of Ghosts which is completely new to the Call of Duty franchise is a new gameplay mode called Squads. Previously, Infinity Ward had rather nebulously described it as existing somewhere between single-play and multiplay – essentially playing like multiplay, but with liberal use of AI-controlled bots.
Palacios fleshed out the concept considerably: "Squads is separate from single-player and multiplayer. You'll create a squad of six of your favourite soldiers, and you can play with them, by yourself, against bots, with your favourite soldiers as team-mates. Or you can play with up to five of your friends as squads online. Or even pit your squad against other squads one-on-one.
"Squads has various modes. In Squad v Squad, you can compete against other players one-on-one. In Solo, you pick your five favourite soldiers against a squad of bots; that replicated the full multiplayer experience. There's a four-player co-op mode called Safeguard, inspired by Survival in Modern Warfare 3. You face waves of enemies, and get all the toys, like Perks and so on. And in Squad Assault mode, you and your friends play in an epic six-player co-op match against an offline player squad."
Palacios was keen to emphasise that Squads is designed to be accessible to those who find CoD's full-blown multiplayer side intimidatingly challenging. Indeed, it sounds like a great means of learning the skills required to survive in multiplay against gentler bots. She confirmed that you will earn XP in Squads, although more slowly than in full-blown multiplay, and that one key aspect of Squads is setting each of your soldiers' load-outs very carefully, as that will effectively determine their fighting personality.
Multiplay: coming into focus
The multiplayer side of CoD: Ghosts is the game's most crucial element – it will have to not just satisfy but enthuse a massive and unbelievably fanatical tribe of gamers. Infinity Ward has been nailing multiplay since CoD 2, though, so it knows what its audience likes. Clearly, the starting point for Ghosts' multiplay was that of Modern Warfare 3, and Palacios confirmed that feedback from the MW3 community has coloured the developer's approach to CoD: Ghosts.
Strikes and Killstreaks
Palacios went into the key aspects of Strikes and Killstreaks in some detail: "We've brought back the traditional Strike packages from MW3, but the key thing to remember here is that we really took on a lot of user feedback before creating these.
"In the Support package in MW3, a lot of people were upset with us for including the stealth bomber, because it gave people a lot of kills and it was a support Killstreak, so you didn't necessarily lose your Killstreaks when you died. So we took that out, and you won't see Killstreaks like that in this package. Essentially, your Killstreaks are about helping your team-mates in a unique way. The support strike package today is Satcom. It's our UAV system. You throw it on the ground, so the first one you get gives you eyes-on for your team-mates. By the fourth one you get, you'll get a directional UAV and really help out your team.
"We also have the MAWS: it's a laser and a rocket launcher. I know that sounds like something you can use really quickly in front of other opponents, but the key thing to remember is that when you shoot off these rockets, they're going to split off and then come back together, so you have to have really good aim to use them well."
Palacios also outlined some of Ghosts' Perks, after explaining that the Perks system has been subtly altered so that you're no longer forced to choose Perks from different categories, although they are still categorised so that you can get an idea of what they do. The intention, she says, is to let people play how they want.
"Dead-eye is one of most expensive: when you get consecutive kills, you do more damage next time you shoot your weapon. There are guys in the studio who love to run around with shotguns, and by the time they get to their third kill, people are dying pretty quickly. Takedown prevents enemies from seeing where I killed their team-mates – if you don't want people rushing you when you've killed someone, this is really useful."
Clan Wars and Blitz
Palacios added some crucial detail to something that until now had remained mysterious: Clan Wars, the so-called meta-game that comes as part of the free CoD app for iOS, Windows Phone and Android. Clan Wars games will take place over a period of two weeks; every fortnight, clans will be able to pair up against each other and enact an epic battle over territory. The longer you hold your territory, the more points you get, and the team with the most points at the end of the fortnight will win the war. There will be certain objects in the game that you will only be able to get by winning Clan Wars.
And she also unveiled a hitherto unmentioned multiplayer mode: "Blitz divides the map into two different territories, with a portal on each side. The object of the game is to get your team through the enemy portal to score a point, then it will send you back to your side."
Hands-on with multiplayer
After the presentation, we got some hands-on experience of CoD: Ghosts' multiplayer – thrillingly, on the Xbox One . Our overall impression was that CoD fans are unlikely to be disappointed, to say the least. CoD: Ghosts looks magnificent on the Xbox One, but the only real difference between the current-gen and next-gen versions are the graphics, so the fact that perhaps the most impressive aspect was the new-found fluidity of movement bodes well for those intending to play the game on their existing hardware.
It wasn't long before players began mastering the knee-slide move, which lets you lurch forward onto your stomach while firing, ending up completely prone and therefore presenting a much smaller target to your opponent. That move requires confidence that you will take out your enemy before they can strafe, though, adding a couple of new techniques to the CoD multiplayer mix.
We also fell foul of the Maniacs a few times – a Killstreak that turns you into a Juggernaut with a sprint and a knife. They are absolutely deadly but, Palacios explained, have been balanced by having their health regeneration removed.
The maps we tried out, too, were stunning: one took place in a convincingly snowy environment, combining caves and the interiors of buildings. They seemed both easy to learn and surprisingly spacious.
Call of Duty is, arguably, the biggest franchise in the games world – Rockstar Games, with Grand Theft Auto, may dispute that, but GTA only appears once every four or five years whereas CoD, with its twin developers is a hardy annual. The bad news for the nay-sayers who feel that a franchise as long-running as CoD must surely start to lose its appeal sometime soon is that, perhaps energised by the advent of the Xbox One and the PlayStation 4 , Infinity Ward seems to come out with the freshest and most ambitious Call of Duty for years. If anything, the CoD juggernaut is picking up speed, rather than juddering to a halt.
- Call of Duty
- PlayStation 4
- Shooting games
F1 2013 – review
GTA 5 Online: microtransactions disabled as connection woes continue
Tom Clancy – a video game maker too
Should gamers be accountable for in-game war crimes?
Fifa 14 – review
GTA V: first heist playthrough - video
Call of Duty: Ghosts perk system explained, new perks listed
Call of Duty: Ghosts developer Infinity Ward has posted a new blog that explains how the shooter's new Perks point system will work. There's also a run-down of a few new abilities.
The blog post touches on the Perk system in greater detail.
There are 35 perks in total, and each bears a different point value. Some cost one point, while the most expensive skills will run you five points. Points are earned through multiplayer play and with points won through the game's new Squads mode.
Each player starts off with eight Perk points, but you can gain up to 12 by removing your primary, secondary, tactical and lethal items. It means you can run with just a knife and 12 perk points if you so choose.
There are seven Perk categories. Here's a quick glance at some of the tiers and Perk options available once the game launches November 5.
Speed Outrun and outmaneuver enemy players. Speed Perks are all about getting the lead and staying ahead. Examples include:
- Sleight of Hand: Faster reloading.
- Stalker: Move faster while aiming.
Handling Dexterity and control drives the Handling Perks, improving actions and accuracy. Examples include:
- On the Go: Reload while sprinting.
- Steady Aim: Increased hip fire accuracy.
Stealth Stealth Perks aid you in staying out of sight, maintaining a low profile and engaging on your terms. Examples include:
- Takedown: Kill enemies without revealing their death locations.
- Incog: Resistant to targeting systems including: Recon, Thermal Scope, Tracker Sight and Motion Sensor. No name or red crosshairs when targeted.
Awareness Keep in tune with your surroundings. Awareness Perks help you survey the environment and detect enemy players. Examples include:
- SitRep: Detect enemy explosives and tactical equipment.
- Wiretap: Utilize all active enemy and friendly SAT COMs on the field.
Resistance A hardened endurance reduces the effects of fatigue. Resistance Perks keep you going through tough engagements. Examples include:
- Focus: Reduced weapon sway when aiming down sights and reduced flinch when hit.
- Blast Shield: Increased resistance to explosive damage.
Equipment Tacticians swear by their gear, and Equipment Perks ensure you have the best tools on hand. Examples include:
- Extra Tactical: Additional Tactical equipment.
- Extra Attachment: Extra attachment for your weapons.
Elite Elite Perks offer special abilities that affect your loadouts in a variety of ways. Examples include:
- Gambler: Spawn with a random Perk.
- Ping: Activate a sonar ping upon killing an enemy, revealing nearby hostiles.
What do you make of the above? You can read my Call of Duty: Ghosts hands-on impressions and interview feature here .
FEELING ISOLATED PlayStation Plus October leak suggests you'll get another opportunity to ignore amazingly unsettling FPS
ROUGH START? Modern Warfare 3 first beta recap: poor visibility, inconsistent TTK, and huffing a gas that makes you stronger
PUT YOUR MONEY AWAY PSA: It's not worth paying to preload Honkai: Star Rail on PS5
PROFICIENT IN DRIP Want some Baldur’s Gate 3 drip? Larian calls for clothing designers for work on official apparel
QUANTUM BREAKER This Starfield mod offers a bunch of useful, better rewards for slaying Starborn
CLIMB EVERY MOUNTAIN A Starfield player surveyed every single planet, and it only took 180 hours
ASKING FOR IT What if Five Nights at Freddy’s was real? What then? Well, we may be about to find out
SAVE ME Beware of Forza Motorsport's loading screens, they could break your game
The latest video game jobs on GamesIndustry.biz
Buy our t-shirts, yeah
They're far more stylish than your average video game website tat.
Call of Duty: Ghosts - Multiplayer
Originally posted by Senator Al Franken : No developer console on this game.
Originally posted by Evil Flanker Celt : Nothing to do with 'developer' it was a console for PLAYERS and it's gone.
Originally posted by MyKillYou : I see.... on COD 4 I used the console to connect to servers from friends. Is there going to be a way to do that on ghost ?
Report this post
Sign in to add this item to your wishlist, follow it, or mark it as ignored
Sign in to see reasons why you may or may not like this based on your games, friends, and curators you follow.
Digital Hardened Edition
- Call of Duty®: Ghosts Season Pass: Get four epic DLC Map Packs*, each delivering a collection of fresh Call of Duty: Ghosts multiplayer content. Plus, you'll receive the Team Leader digital content pack, a Season Pass-bonus that includes a unique MP character head, weapon camo, reticle, player patch, player card and player background, playable in-game upon purchase.
- Free Fall Dynamic Bonus Map: This brand-new dynamic downloadable multiplayer map drops you into a shattered skyscraper on the brink of collapse. Frantic action is thrown into overdrive as the skyscraper continues to fall throughout the match, evolving gameplay in real-time.
- Digital Hardened Edition In-Game Item Pack: Stand out from the crowd with a unique in-game player patch, player card & player background, a collection of content only available in the Digital Hardened Edition.
- Ghosts Insignia Pack: Show your enemies what you stand for with an in-game Ghosts insignia player patch, player card & player background.
About This Game
- Ten years after a devastating mass event, America’s borders and the balance of global power have changed forever. As what's left of the nation's Special Operations forces, a mysterious group known only as "Ghosts" leads the fight back against a newly emerged, technologically-superior global power.
- A New Call of Duty Universe: For the first time in franchise history, players will take on the underdog role with Call of Duty: Ghosts; outnumbered and outgunned, players must fight to reclaim a fallen nation in an intensely personal narrative. Gamers will get to know an entirely new cast of characters and visit locales in a changed world unlike anything seen in Call of Duty® before.
- In Call of Duty: Ghosts you don't just create a class, you create a soldier, a first for the franchise. In the new Create-A-Soldier system, players can change the physical appearance of their soldier by choosing the head, body type, head-gear and equipment, and for the first time in a Call of Duty® game, the player can also choose their gender. With 20,000 possible combinations, this is the most flexible and comprehensive character customization in Call of Duty history.
- New dynamic maps are the evolution of multiplayer. They include interactive elements and player triggered events that make the environment evolve as each match goes on. The entire landscape can shift and force players to change tactics and strategies.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts introduces new tactical player movements. The new contextual lean system now allows players to lean around obstacles without adding button combinations or fully leaving cover. The new mantling system allows fluid movement over objects, while maintaining momentum. The knee slide allows for a natural transition from sprinting crouching to prone.
- Call of Duty: Ghosts delivers over 20 NEW Kill Streaks such as Juggernaut Maniac, the Helo Scout, the Vulture and the ODIN Strike. Players can even bring in guard dog Riley, from the single-player campaign, to protect and also to attack enemies. There are also over 30 NEW weapons, including an entirely new weapon class: Marksman Rifles.
- Build your team and take up to 6 of them into battle in the all new Squads mode. This mode takes the best parts of the multiplayer experience and allows you to play either solo or cooperatively with the custom soldiers created and leveled up in multiplayer.
- The load-out choices you make for your Squad members will directly change the AI behavior of your squad-mates. Give your soldier a sniper rifle and he'll behave like a sniper, and an SMG guy will be more run and gun.
- OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Windows 8 64-Bit
- Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E8200 2.66 GHZ / AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 2.4 GHZ or better
- Memory: 6 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTS 450 / ATI® Radeon™ HD 5870 or better
- DirectX: Version 11
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Storage: 40 GB available space
- Sound Card: DirectX® compatible sound card
- Additional Notes: Broadband connection and service required for Multiplayer Connectivity. Internet connection required for activation.
- Processor: Intel® Core™ i5 – 680 @ 3.6GHz
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce™ GTX 760 @ 4GB
© 2013 Activision Publishing, Inc. ACTIVISION, CALL OF DUTY, and CALL OF DUTY GHOSTS are trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.
More like this
What curators say, customer reviews.
You can use this widget-maker to generate a bit of HTML that can be embedded in your website to easily allow customers to purchase this game on Steam.
Enter up to 375 characters to add a description to your widget:
Copy and paste the HTML below into your website to make the above widget appear
Popular user-defined tags for this product: (?)
Sign in to add your own tags to this product.