Opeth - Ghost Of Perdition Tab
Track: mikael åkerfeldt - distortion guitar difficulty (rhythm): revised on: 9/19/2023.
George howlett – guitar & global music, • ghost reveries tuning •, d-a-d-f-a-e, • overview •.
A spacious Open Dm variant, which retains Standard ’s E1str tone to give a minor 9th open harmony. Great for chord voicings which combine intricate high extensions with robust bass structures – with note-shuffling added by the tuning’s irregular interval sequence (a 4th , min. 3rd , and a maj. 3rd , sandwiched by two 5ths ). Hear how the tighter 1str stands out.
Like its major counterpart (D-A-D- F# -A-E: Yvette’s Dadd9 ), this layout retains many of the Open D family’s strengths – including one-finger power chords across 6-5-4str , dextrous harmonic possibilities on 4-3-2str, and general low-side solidity – while also opening up a variety of new shapes. See how the wide jump at the top recolours your improv…
Harmony: dmin(add9) | 1-5-1-b3-5-2, • tuning tones •.
• Home | Menu | About •
— online lessons —, • sounds •.
Used by eclectic Swedish metallers Opeth – particularly on their eighth album, 2005’s Ghost Reveries (e.g. on Ghost Of Perdition , Isolation Years , Baying of the Hounds , and all six of the electric/acoustic/12-string guitar layers on Reverie Harlequin Forest ). In the words of frontman Mikael Åkerfeldt , “I love experimenting with tuning…which [on Ghost Reveries ] I got from folk players like Bert Jansch , John Renbourn and Nick Drake ” (although he also cautions that: “I don’t want to get [too] lost in tuning…we’re comfortable with Standard “).
Also used by Australian rockers Karnivool on a few tracks (e.g. All I Know , Set Fire to the Hive : although they generally prefer B-F#-B-G-B-E ) – as well as a sparse scattering of others (e.g. a quick sketch by NathanKGx, and an anonymous improv captured in a Gilmore Guitars workshop). Broader use, however, remains surprisingly rare, despite the tuning lying only a few twists away from Standard , the Open D family, and many others ( …before long, my search-query results were getting clogged up by hits for hex colour ID ‘ #dadfae ’: a very light green ).
- Ghost of Perdition @ Red Rocks – Opeth (2017):
“You’d compare yourself [to] old classmates…they’d have flourishing careers: even if I thought their careers sounded boring, at least they had something to survive on. I was bitter and beaten down…I didn’t have much hope for us. All I knew was that I liked the music I’d written.” (Mikael Åkerfeldt)
Like everything on my site, the World of Tuning will always remain 100% open-access and ad-free : however, anti-corporate musicology doesn’t pay the bills! I put as much into these projects as time and finances allow – so, if you like them, you can:
• Support the site! •
…and hasten the project’s expansion…, —documenting more altered tunings—, —further harmonic & melodic analysis—, —engaging with peg-twisting guitarists—, —ensuring that high-quality guitar knowledge will remain open to all, at no cost: free from commercial motive—, insights to share get in touch , • numbers •.
- See my Tunings Megatable for further such nerdery: more numbers, intervallic relations, comparative methods, etc. And to any genuine vibratory scientists reading: please critique my DIY analysis!
• RELATED •
—Associated tunings: proximities of shape, concept, context, etc…
- Open Dm (this with 1str -2): taking out the high ninth
- Yvette’s Dadd9 (this with 3str +1): the major variant
- Equilibrium : same strings altered, by different intervals
• MORE INFO •
—Further learnings : sources, readings, lessons, other onward links…
- Opeth : Learn more about the evolution and eclectic influences of the three- decades -old group via fan-selected lists of top-10 tracks on Reddit – and also check out interviews with leader Mikael Åkerfeldt in Rolling Stone (on his all-time favourite metal albums) and Guitar World (“Martin Lopez ended up playing me something by [ Turkish Arabesk singer] İbrahim Tatlıses . I guess it was Kurdish pop music, but to my ears it sounded evil ! It had notes…that you didn’t really find in Western scales, with bends that were inbetween notes . I immediately rewrote the beginning of Bleak …”)
- Folk to metal : Åkerfeldt, who mentions taking inspiration from “Bert Jansch, John Renbourn, and Nick Drake ”, is far from the only heavy guitarist to delve deep into these quieter realms: famously, Led Zeppelin took detours into the folk mythology of the British Isles, both real & imagined (e.g. The Battle of Evermore references Lord of the Rings , and Gallows Pole is an updating of the centuries-old melody The Maid Freed from the Gallows : although Page based his version on American 12-stringer Fred Gerlach ’s arrangement) – also see a rundown of modern folk-metal by Grimner ‘s flautist and bagpipe player Johan Rydberg in Louder Sound : “For a very long time, the folk-metal scene has been dominated by bands [that] focus on Norse , Celtic , Gaelic, and similar themes…Now we have seen new bands rise…bringing their culture and mythology: Myrath (Tunisian power-folk), Wagakki Band (Japanese folk-metal), [and] Tengger Cavalry (Mongolian folk-metal)…”
Header image: Ghost Reveries album cover (2005)
Search the Altered Tunings Menu (100+) : type in notes, artists, adjectives, intervals, sequences, etc. Also see Tag List :
¡ random tuning .
Menu of Tunings (100+) • Altered-tuned artists • Divine Indian drones • Global instrument tunings • Joni’s stringed canvas • Alpha-melodic games • Double-sided harp-capoing • Tales & quotes • Megatable • Glossary • Submissions • About • Feedback
George Howlett is a London-based musician, writer, and teacher (guitars, sitar, tabla, & santoor). Above all I seek to enthuse fellow sonic searchers, interconnecting fresh vibrations with the voices, cultures, and passions behind them. See Home & Writings , and hit me up for Online Lessons !
“An intrepid guitar researcher…”
( Guitar World interview )
everything 100% ad-free and open-access
By clicking 'Agree,' you are giving us your consent to use these cookies. You can withdraw your consent at any time by adjusting your cookie preferences in your browser settings.
Opeth - Ghost of Perdition
1,778 views - 19 Jan 2011
WhatsApp Facebook Twitter Telegram LinkedIn EMail
Get my guitar pro tab of the song: http://www.gprotab.net/comment_tab.php?tab_id=106407 Me playing the awesome song Ghost of Perdition from the Ghost ...
Loading Tuning Map
Loading tuning data.
Submit a YouTube Video to DADFAE
More dadfae resources, loading an obscene amount of chords, loading an obscene amount of scales, 1900+ guitar tunings.
Guitar Tunings Database the home of 1900+ online guitar tunings
Start Here »
Over 500 guitar tuners in a WordPress plugin.
- 🎥 Popular Soundtracks Chords
- 🎸 Top Rock Guitar And Ukulele Chords
- 🎤 Top Popular Songs Guitar And Ukulele Chords
- Weakness tab
- To Bid You Farewell tab
- Closure tab
- Requiem tab
- Nepenthe tab
Opeth – Ghost Of Perdition tab ver. 2
Need rating details.
Please explain why did you choose such low rating for this tab.
- Lack of formatting
- Lack of accuracy
- Incomplete tab
- Clearly wrong
- I just don't like it, no special reason
Opeth "Ghost Of Perdition" Guitar Tab
Taxes/VAT calculated at checkout
Ghost Of Perdition guitar tab, as performed by Opeth . Official, artist-approved notation—the most accurate guitar tab on the web.
Need help reading standard notation or guitar tab? See our notation legend .
The Most Accurate Tab
Professionally transcribed and edited guitar tab from Hal Leonard—the most trusted name in tab.
Over 30,000 Transcriptions
Get this sheet and guitar tab, chords and lyrics, solo arrangements, easy guitar tab, lead sheets and more.
Instant and unlimited access to all of our sheet music, video lessons, and more with G-PASS!
For fast, easy shipping in the EU, please visit MusicShopEurope.com
Visit MusicShopEurope.com or try one of our digital editions.
This item is unavailable for purchase in your country.
Enter your email address below to sign up for an email notification informing you of the latest titles added to the site.
- Search forums
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature currently requires accessing the site using the built-in Safari browser.
- Rig-Talk Discussions
opeth tuning question
- Thread starter SFW
- Start date Oct 16, 2009
- Oct 16, 2009
Does anyone know what tuning Opeth used on their Ghost Reveries disc? Was listening to Ghost of Perdition this morning on the way to work and think I'd like to try whatever tuning they used for that disc. Thanks guys!
Baying Of The Hounds is plain old drop d i think. I was jamming along with that a few months ago.
I think its all open tuning I believe. Not positive though.
Pretty much all of their stuff is in E or Drop D as far as I know.
Interesting. Sure does sound big. I'll have to que the CD up when I get home.
I believe some of the songs are in an open tuning of d-minor. I found a transcription a few years ago, tuned my guitar to it and it sounded perfect. IN addition to the open tuning, everything may be down a whole step.
Just found my transcription to Ghost of Perdition. Tune to DADFAD. I can send you a tab if you need it.
that would be great!
- Browse tabs
What are You going to play today?
- Browse Tabs
Ghost of Perdition
Guitar pro tab summary, song author, instruments.